Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Help with Egotism

I vaguely remember a quotation, probably from my creative writing theory class at BYU and possibly from The Fourth Genre (though a scan of the book did not produce the desired quotation), to the effect that it takes a special sort of egotist to write memoir/personal essay--the idea being that you have to assume that people would be interested in reading about you. Does this ring a bell (speaking to editorgirl specifically but to the world generally)?

5 Comments:

Blogger Th. said...

.

Are you suggesting there's a type of egotist more special than the type I am?

11/21/2006 9:16 PM  
Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

Sorry, Master Fob, but I'm totally lost. Are you suggesting that editorgirl is an egoist, or that those of us who have written self-focused essays, (you, me, Melyngoch, SHMFOGBC, et al)are raging egoists?

11/22/2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

So you DON'T want to know every thought that runs through our heads and every emotion that we feel??

Geez, Fobster... What do I write about now?

11/22/2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

And what's SHMFOGBC?

11/22/2006 11:03 AM  
Blogger Tolkien Boy said...

Straight, Happily Married Friend of Gay Boyfriend Chick.

And I read the post again, and now I see what's going on. Carry on, citizens.

11/23/2006 12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home